• About Us

AssemblyTalk has been created by the makers of AssemblyTube. We are based in Bristol UK. If you want to contact us, please use the form on the right.
  • Contact Us

Thanks!

Your email was successfully sent. Your enquiry will be dealt with as soon as possible.

Required fields not completed correctly.

• About Us

A Funny Thing Happened ….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Have you been present at an Assembly when a surprising thing happened? Something you were not expecting. This could be good or bad or worse.

Care to share it?

You can spare the blushes of specific teachers or schools by not naming them specifically, but do please share any experiences that come under this heading.

admin
    Keymaster

As Head of 6th form in a large comprehensive school I thought it would be a good experience for 6th form students to develop their public speaking skills by presenting something to a lower school Assembly. This would be win-win because the younger students would see what they were aspiring to, hearing from these mature and confident older students. I briefed the 6th form students but felt strongly that they needed me to show confidence in them, and that this would help them overcome their performance nerves and grow as people.

The Assemblies began well. I had a list of performers and the topics of their Assemblies. One student, Carrie, said she would like to perform some magic as this was one of her hobbies. Great, I thought. In those days the 500 students in lower school all sat on the hall floor for Assembly.

Carrie began her Assembly. The hall was packed with years 7,8, and 9 on the floor, and the staff round the edge on chairs. There was not an inch of room to be had. I stood proudly at the back, pleased with my confidence boosting idea. Carrie built up the tension and the audience were full of excitement at what was to come. Then Carrie took a swig of some liquid in a bottle and blew a 6 metre jet of flame from her mouth. Her hobby was “fire eating”. The flame shot above the heads of the audience to terrified screams from the young children. I stood at the back unable to move due to the crush and a feeling of dreadful panic in my mind. To this day I am relieved that no-one was roasted alive, and the thought of the event still sends a shudder down my spine.

admin
    Keymaster

In the 1990s I was a Deputy Headteacher in a large Girls’ Comprehensive in the South West of England. SLT received an offer from a young man, a singer, who was willing to talk to groups of older students about the dangers of drug use in the pop industry. This was a free offer and he would also sing a couple of songs in Assembly. We thought this was an interesting idea and the students might take advice from a young man closer to their age. We agreed to the request, with thanks. None of us had heard of the singer. His name was Peter Andre.

On the day of the talk, Peter arrived in time for the upper school Assembly of 600 14-18 year old girls. He came with backing dancers and a film crew from MTV. The girls seemed much more excited than SLT had anticipated. Peter started to sing and his 2 male dancers took off their shirts and did acrobatic moves behind him. Peter took off his shirt and the sound of the audience could probably have been heard on the moon. At the end of the performance, Peter kindly asked if any of the girls would like to come up on stage for a kiss. I realised at this point that things were seriously out of control. We did not go ahead with the drugs talk. Our main concern was to get Peter and his crew out alive. There were 600 young fans all trying to keep a piece of him for themselves.

That night I appeared on TV at the edge of an MTV programme which was broadcast to show this new pop phenomenon, Peter Andre, in action. My one and only appearance on MTV.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.