Will speak on:- How rotation affects life and Read more [...]
Speaker Category: STEM
Will speak on:-
• Planets and the Solar System: An interactive talk suitable for children aged 5 – 10 using a set of inflatable planets, and linked to my exoplanet story book (Oogle-Flip and the Planet Adventure). Needs a room the size of a school hall, and suitable for groups of up to 100.
• The Life and Death of Stars – we are made of star-stuff!: A demonstration lecture suitable for children aged 10-15, or for family audiences, which explores the life cycle of stars and the origin of the chemical elements.
• Exoplanets and How to Find Them: A demonstration lecture suitable for ages 16+ or for astronomical societies, or family audiences. Various models are used to illustrate the techniques by which planets around other stars are detected and a brief summary of the recent discoveries in this area, including those from the SuperWASP project.
• Gamma-ray Bursts: an astronomical detective story: A highly illustrated talk suitable for ages 16+ or for astronomical societies, which describes how the mystery of the origin of gamma-ray bursts was solved.
• The New Cosmology or How the Universe Works: A highly illustrated talk suitable for ages 16+ or for astronomical societies, which describes the remarkable new theories concerning the origin and evolution of the Universe.
• Magnetic Compact Stars: A more technical talk suitable for advanced astronomical societies looking for something linked closely to ongoing research, concerning white dwarfs and neutron stars.